Would you like to make a difference from the comfort of your own home? And bring joy to cats in need who are waiting for their forever families by volunteering to make them a toy? Then this is the project for you! This DIY project is as easy as can be and volunteers of all ages can participate.
Our shelters and rescues are filled with cats sitting in cages as they wait to be adopted who would love something to keep them amused. This DIY catnip toy is one that cats love and will help keep them entertained until they can go home with that perfect family. And each toy only takes 5 minutes to make. Win-win!
- Infant socks (only use infant-sized socks)
- Stuffing: cotton balls or fiberfill
- Dry catnip
Step 1: Take an infant sock and fill it from the toe to the heel with stuffing. The stuffed portion of the sock should not be longer than 2 inches.
Step 2: Add a pinch or two of dry catnip into the filling.
Step 3: Tie the top of the sock in a knot right above the filling. Please never use string or ribbon to keep the sock closed, because these items pose a choking hazard for the cats.
Step 4: Voila! It’s just that easy, and your catnip toy is ready to make a rescue cat happy.
DONATE YOUR CAT TOYS: Donate your finished cat toys to a local rescue or shelter. If you don’t have an opportunity to donate them locally, we know several organizations who would love to have them. Please feel free to mail your catnip toys to:
- Pasadena Humane Society, 361 South Raymond, Pasadena, CA 91105
- Happy Strays Rescue, PO Box 12, La Canada, CA 91012
- Small Acts Big Change, PO Box 1374, La Canada, CA 91012 Note: For students needing volunteer credit hours for school: Every 8 catnip toys earns one volunteer service hour from Small Acts Big Change. Please send toys to the above address with a request for volunteer credit certificate.
THANK YOU: Thank you for helping make the world a better place by helping shelter cats. We hope you had a great time participating in our DIY CATNIP TOYS FOR RESCUE CATS.
If you would like to learn about more DIY volunteer from home projects like these, please enter your email address in the SUBSCRIBE box below.