We’re all familiar with the concept of working from home, but have you thought about volunteering from home? There are plenty of reasons why volunteering can sometimes be difficult, despite your best intentions. Life is busy. You’re working long hours. You don’t have easy access to volunteer activities in your community. We get it, which is why we created this blog, Make a Difference From Home. Volunteering from home is super fun and is a great way to gather family and friends together to make the world a better place.
This week’s project, our do-it-yourself CAT TUBE PUZZLE TREATS are a perfect way to help cats in shelters who are waiting for their forever families. Each treat only takes about 10 minutes to make. Toddlers can join in the crafting fun too on this one by decorating the cardboard tubes.
- Empty cardboard toilet paper rolls
- Nontoxic permanent markers
- Yummy cat treats
- Nontoxic permanent markers such as Sharpies work well.
- Paper towel and wrapping paper tubes cut into smaller pieces also work well.
- This is likely obvious, but everyone touching the cat treats should have super clean hands. We don’t want to pass any germs or dirt to the cats.
Step 1: Clean off toilet paper remnants from the cardboard roll.
Step 2: Decorate the roll using permanent, nontoxic markers. We think Sharpies work well.
Step 3: Fold the sides of one end of the roll together so that it is closed.
Step 4: Take a pair of scissors and cut round holes in the tubes 1.5 times bigger than the size of the cat treats.
Step 5: Put some treats inside the tube from the open end.
Step 6: Fold the sides of the remaining end together so that it is closed.
Step 7: You did it! You now have an adorable cat puzzle toy that shelter cats will love!
WHERE TO DONATE LOCALLY: Contact your local SPCA, humane society and rescue organizations to arrange delivery of your cat puzzle treats. They will be thrilled to get them!
WHERE TO DONATE VIA MAIL: You can also mail your treats to the following nonprofit organizations who will deliver them to cats in need:
- Small Acts Big Change, PO Box 1374, La Canada, CA 91012 Note: Small Acts Big Change will certify volunteer hours for students who make these treats for rescue cats. Please contact Carolyn at firstname.lastname@example.org. Every 5 puzzle treats = 1 hour of community service volunteer credit.
THANK YOU: Thank you for helping cats at the shelters have a better day.
If you would like to learn about more DIY volunteer projects like this one, please subscribe to this page and follow Make a Difference From Home on Facebook.