Would you like to help orphaned baby birds and other wildlife? Do you know how to crochet or would you like to learn? Then this is the perfect do-it-yourself volunteer project for you! You can crochet nests for baby birds and injured wildlife from the comfort of your own home. When baby birds and other wildlife are brought into rescues, they need to be kept warm in a soft place, preferably in something that resembles their nests in the wild. These DIY crocheted nests are quick to make and will help orphaned and injured animals recover. It’s true, your crocheted nests will be warm and cozy, but did you know that a secure nest also helps ensure that the baby’s legs grow properly?
Volunteer from the comfort of your own home and make a big difference by crocheting nests. Every crocheted nest helps save a life.
- Washable yarn in any weight (the yarn MUST be washable please)
- Hook slightly smaller than the yarn calls for
- Yarn needle
- Recommended: two strands of worsted weight yarn and a US K hook to fit a standard soda can
These nests are easy to make and all sizes of nests are needed. There are plenty of nest crochet patterns online. Choose one that works best for you or you can follow our pattern instructions below. The key is to make the stitches as tight as possible so that the claws and nails of the babies don’t get caught in the finished nest.
- Chain 3 and slip stitch into the furthest chain from hook to form a ring.
- Single crochet (sc) 6 stitches inside ring
- Sc 2 stitches in each stitch around (12)
- Sc 1, Sc 2 stitches in next, repeat around (18)
- Sc 2, Sc 2 stitches in next, repeat around (24)
- Sc 3, Sc 2 stitches in next, repeat around (30)
- Sc all stitches for 5 rounds and bind off
- Weave in the ends and fold down top
Where to donate:
Contact your local wildlife rescue organizations to see if they have a need for your nests. You can also mail your nests to the following nonprofit organizations who need nests immediately:
In the United States:
- Carolina Waterfowl Rescue Group, PO Box 1484, Indian Trail, NC 28079
- Small Acts Big Change, PO Box 1374, La Canada, CA 91012
- Wild Wishlist, PO Box 1211, Skylar, NC 28776
- Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, c/o Lee Pirini, Locked Bag 3000, Archerfield BH 4108, Queensland Australia
Thank you for making a difference in the lives of orphaned and injured birds and wildlife in need.