We’re all familiar with the concept of working from home, but have you thought about the benefits of volunteering from home? There are plenty of reasons why volunteering can sometimes be difficult despite your best intentions. Life is busy. You’re working long hours. You don’t have easy access to volunteer activities in your community. We get it, which is why we created this blog, Make a Difference From Home. Volunteering from home is super fun and a great way to gather family and friends together to make the world a better place. Small acts of kindness and service really do change the world.
Our LITTER BIT BETTER SCAVENGER HUNT turns cleaning up your community into a FUN game for your whole family. It may not be your trash, but it is your planet. For 3o minutes of your time, kids and adults alike can make the world a better place for people, animals and the environment.
- A scavenger hunt list and pencil for each person
- Buckets or trash bags to collect the litter
- A handled “grabber” tool
- Prize for the scavenger hunt winner (optional)
- Breaking into teams will help younger children be involved.
- Before starting, discuss with all participants the importance of leaving any trash that could be dangerous such as sharp metals, biological matter, syringes, etc.
- Check to see if you need permission to clean the location you choose for your litter clean-up.
- Choose a safe and accessible location. If “No Trespassing”signs are posted, choose another location.
- Wear closed-toe shoes. Flip flops, sandals or open shoes are not recommended.
- A handled “grabber” tool is not necessary but makes the clean-up significantly easier.
Choose a location: Choose a location in your community that could use some care such as a park, school playground, walking or hiking trail, ball field, vacant parking lot, or beach. Whatever the location, make sure that it is safe and easily accessible.
Print the Litter Bit Better Scavenger Hunt List and Gather Pencils: We’ve created a fun scavenger hunt for you, but feel free to adapt the list to suit your own needs. Gather one pencil and print one copy of the list for each litter scavenger hunt participant. (Please remember to recycle the list after the litter clean-up is over.)
Here’s the download: Litter Scavenger Hunt
Time to Clean-up Your Community:
Head to your location, set a timer and GO! At the end of the allotted time, tally your results and congratulate everyone involved in making a difference.
Recycle the Trash: Please recycle as much of the trash you picked up as possible including as plastics, cans, paper, foil, etc.
THANK YOU: Thank you for helping make the world a better place by picking up litter in your community. We hope you had a great time participating in our LITTER BIT BETTER SCAVENGER HUNT.
If you would like to learn about more DIY volunteer from home projects like these, please subscribe to this page and follow Make a Difference From Home on Facebook.