We’re all familiar with the concept of working from home, but have you thought about the benefits of volunteering from home? There are plenty of reasons why volunteering can sometimes be difficult despite your best intentions. Life is busy. You’re working long hours. You don’t have easy access to volunteer activities in your community. We get it, which is why we created this blog, Make a Difference From Home. Volunteering from home is super fun and a great way to gather family and friends together to make the world a better place.
Kindness Rocks is a fun project for volunteers of all ages. A creative and fun project, painting rocks with messages of inspiration and kindness is a great way to spread happiness in your community. Gather everyone together and let’s get started!
- River rocks, approximately 3 to 4 inches wide
- Spray paint or acrylic paint in bright colors
- Sharpies or other permanent markers
- Acrylic spray sealer
- Flat, smooth river rocks work best. These rocks tend to have a smooth surface without much texture which makes decorating them easier. If you can’t find the right rocks outside, craft stores and home improvement retailers typically carry them in stock.
- The rocks should measure approximately 3 or 4 inches wide, small enough to carry around but big enough to decorate with a message.
- Avoid dark colors for the base paint.
- Please don’t leave your rocks in a national forest or park. “Leave no trace” laws exist, so leaving a rock behind could be considered littering.
Step 1: Wash and dry the rocks before you begin.
Step 2: Spray paint each rock to give it a base of solid color and let it dry for approximately 30 minutes. If the rock didn’t get completely covered with the first coat of paint, you may need to paint it again for better coverage.
Step 3: Decorate your rocks with inspiring messages. Here are a few ideas:
- Kindness rocks
- Have a beautiful day
- Believe in yourself
- Choose kindness
- You are amazing
- Have courage
- Be brave
- Laugh all the time
- Follow your dreams
OR decorate your rocks with patterns and pictures. Here are a few ideas:
- Polka dots
- Swirls and squiggly lines
Step 4: Seal your decorated rock with an acrylic spray sealer and let it dry approximately 30 minutes. Apply a second coat. Set the rock aside for 24 hours to be sure all the layers of paint dry completely.
DELIVERING YOUR KINDNESS ROCKS:
Leave your rocks in places for other people to find. Parks, ball fields, community centers, public gardens, schools, hiking and walking paths are all great spots to leave your kindness rocks for others to find.
SHARE: Share pictures of your kindness rocks with the world at https://www.facebook.com/smallactsbigchangeus/
THANK YOU: Thank you for helping spread happiness and kindness throughout your community. <3
If you would like to learn about more DIY volunteer from home projects like these, please subscribe to this page and follow Make a Difference From Home on Facebook.